We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Encouraged by his devotee, Holly Cantrell (Anna Friel), Dr Rick Marshall (Will Ferrell) pursues his unlikely dream of travelling back in time to the 'land of the lost'. This is a fantastical place full of dinosaurs and strange creatures. Accompanied by a reluctant bystander, Will Stanton (Danny McBride), Rick and Holly manage to fall through a hole in the fabric of time. Unfortunately, the trio loses its time machine on the way. To find the machine and return home, they must travel through a treacherous world full of friends end enemies.
Time travel; prehistoric worlds
This movie contains some violence. For example:
- During a talk show segment, Dr Rick Marshall argues with the host, Matt Lauer. Marshall is tackled on the couch by the show's producer and sprayed in the face with a fire extinguisher.
- A group of primates behaves aggressively. One (Cha-ka) is threatened with execution.
- Stanton throws rocks at Marshall to stop him running.
- Stanton meets Enik, a sleestak (similar to the 'creature from the Black Lagoon'), lying on the floor. Stanton says, 'Let's stomp its head in'.
- During a holographic message, another sleestak is shot with a laser weapon from off camera and falls down dead.
- Marshall wrestles with several sleestaks to rescue Holly. Several of them are pushed or fall into a well of lava.
- Marshall uses a stick to fight with a T-Rex.
- Holly attacks a group of sleestaks with her belt.
- Stanton picks up Cha-ka and uses him as a weapon against the sleestaks.
- Marshall jumps on Enik and fights with him. Stanton tries to body-slam Enik but misses.
- Cha-ka hits Enik in the head while Stanton has him in a head-lock.
- Matt Lauer physically attacks Marshall on his follow-up talk show segment.
Content that may disturb children
In addition to the violent scenes mentioned above, this movie contains scenes that could scare or disturb children under eight. For example:
- There are several scenes with carnivorous and predatory dinosaurs.
- A T-Rex is particularly scary. It roars at and attempts to eat the main characters while they are suspended in the air. It aggressively pursues them through the forest, swallows Marshall whole when he accidentally vaults into its mouth, and chases and eats several sleestaks.
- Other dinosaurs swarm and attack an icecream van. The dismembered arm of the attendant is seen in the mouth of a dinosaur.
- Pterodactyls often swoop overhead (one steals the time machine). They become threatening when they hatch in the nest while Marshall is reclaiming the machine.
- The sleestaks are alien-like creatures that look scary and menacing.
- Enik and Zarn use holographic projections to convey messages.
- A flock of bats swoops on the main characters in a cave.
- An icecream van drops out of the sky and lands heavily on the ground.
- A giant crab advances on the party (before being sucked into a geyser and blown to bits).
- Both Marshall and Stanton disguise themselves in sleestak skin. They remove it in front of Enik to reveal their true identities.
- Marshall, Holly and Stanton are washed violently down a suddenly fast-moving river and over a waterfall. They find themselves in a strange world.
- While walking across a desert, the main characters encounter a group of early hominids that look like monkeys. The hominids are engaged in what appears to be an attempted murder. There is some tension between the main characters and the hominids. For a while, it looks as though a fight will break out.
- The group comes across two skeletons sitting at a table listening to a record player.
- Marshall takes a fruit from Cha-ka only to find it full of spiders that crawl out all over him.
- The Allosaurus swallows a can of refrigerant. It is frozen and promptly explodes, spraying dinosaur bits everywhere.
- A large mosquito takes blood from Marshall's neck. It balloons as it fills itself with Marshall's blood. As Marshall collapses because of blood loss, he falls onto the mosquito and squashes it, spraying blood and bug on the ground. Marshall has an enormous wound on his back the following day.
- Holly discovers Zarn's dead body in a cave. She is captured and imprisoned by the sleestaks. They suspend her in a cage over a well of lava.
Some children in this age group might be disturbed by some of the scenes mentioned above.
Children in this age group are unlikely to be disturbed by anything in this movie.
This movie contains some sexual references. For example:
- Holly tells Marshall that she thinks his taste in music is 'gay'.
- Stanton says, 'This is a little travel mug I like to call the perfect woman. Big ol' set of boobies - no head and a handle'.
- Stanton makes some suggestive sound effects to Holly. He implies that it won't be water from the cave ride that will make her wet.
- There is a shot of a cigarette lighter with breasts.
- On finding the vibrating, pyramid-shaped pylon in the lost city, the characters make several jokes about it. For example, 'Usually you have to pay for something like this', and 'Holly, you should sit on it'.
- Cha-ka makes suggestive movements with his hips to demonstrate having sex.
- Marshall and Stanton stumble across two sleestaks about to mate. They hide behind a rock for their 'own private little show'. They comment to each other about their observations.
- Marshall refers to Holly as his 'lover' on national TV.
Alcohol, drugs and other substances
This movie contains some use of substances. For example:
- Marshall holds, but doesn't use, a tobacco pipe. He twice refers to smoking it.
- A student in class asks, 'If you shot a tonne of pot at the sun, would it burn and everyone get high?'
- Two cigarette lighters are shown and used.
- Characters drink alcohol.
- The characters find a hidden green cave. Stanton says, 'I bet somebody's growing weed in here'.
- Cha-ka gives the other characters a celebratory fruit drink that they soon realise is a narcotic. Cha-ka, Marshall and Stanton behave as if affected.
Nudity and sexual activity
This movie contains some nudity and sexual activity. For example:
- While all the characters except Holly are drugged on a narcotic drink, Stanton asks Marshall and Cha-ka how much he would have to pay to 'French kiss you all'. They lean in as if to go through with it but decide they can't. The three of them wake up hours later in a suggestive head-to-tail formation. Cha-ka's mouth is open next to Marshall's groin.
- On several occasions, Marshall and Stanton discuss touching themselves. Both leave the impression that they are masturbating at different points during the movie.
- During the introductions between the humans and Cha-ka, Cha-ka and Stanton both provocatively fondle Holly's breasts.
- Cha-ka feels Marshall's groin and Holly's legs.
- Holly kisses Marshall passionately on the mouth. Marshall attempts to return the kiss later but they are interrupted.
- After Stanton decides to stay behind, he accompanies Cha-ka to his colony. Here he is approached by semi-naked beautiful women who begin to fawn over him. He remarks that he thinks he has made the 'right decision' by staying.
The following products are displayed or used in this movie: Matt Lauer's Today Show, Bantam Books, Amazon, M&Ms, a Big Cat cigarette lighter, and American fast food restaurants such as Subway.
This movie contains frequent mild to medium-level coarse language.
Ideas to discuss with your children
Land of the Lost is an action adventure that features time travel, science fiction and history.
The main messages from this movie are the importance of friendships and trust.
This movie could give you the opportunity to discuss with your children the following real-life issues:
- substance abuse and risk-taking behaviour
- sexual promiscuity
- attitudes to women
- teasing and bullying.