The arrival of autumn brings with it, among other vegetables, the pumpkin in its different varieties, including the pumpkin. It is a vegetable that is introduced in the complementary feeding of the baby from the beginning due to its nutritional properties. On our site we tell you what the advantages of eating pumpkin for children, as well as what contribution does the pumpkin generate to the children's diet and how to introduce it into their diet.
The best known pumpkins are the typical Halloween or maximum cucurbita, large, rounded and orange in color, and the butternut, a large and elongated pumpkin shaped like a pear, with a pale orange color on the outside and intense on the inside.
Pumpkin pulp can be cooked in different ways, roasted, steamed or cooked, although it can also be grilled. Trying to preserve all its micronutrients, it is better to avoid cooking it, unless the cooking water is also used, since many vitamins and minerals are lost in this broth. But what are its properties?
- Another benefit of pumpkin for children is that it is a vegetable rich in water, practically 90 percent of its composition.
- It is also rich in beta-carotene, antioxidants and fiber.
- What's more, pumpkin is rich in vitamin C, thiamine or vitamin B1 and potassium, although its amounts of iron and zinc and vitamin E are also interesting.
- Regarding macronutrients, it almost does not provide protein or fat, but it does contain complex carbohydrates. Some pumpkins can, if not opened, last for months in perfect condition, so they are very useful as reserve vegetables in our pantry.
- The beta-carotenes of pumpkins, responsible for their orange color, are beneficial for the skin, since they increase protection against ultraviolet rays, although they are also characterized by having a boosting effect on the immune system and by promoting visual health, protecting the ocular mucous membranes.
- By transforming into vitamin A in the body, promote protection against viral and bacterial infections, since it ensures the good condition of the mucosa in the tissues, which acts as a barrier against germs. Some studies even suggest that its deficiency during childhood can be associated with respiratory, gastrointestinal and visual problems, and can even cause blindness.
- Pumpkin also contains cryptoxanthin, another carotenoid whose anti-inflammatory effects they are tremendously useful in childhood, since it could improve the evolution of inflammatory processes, such as throat irritation.
- Pumpkin seeds are another of the many benefits of this vegetable, since contain omega 3 and 6 fatty acids important for the brain and memory, and minerals such as iron, zinc, magnesium and potassium. The lack of iron causes anemia and fatigue, while zinc is part of the enzymes necessary for the synthesis of RNA and DNA and is involved in the proper functioning of the immune system.
Also, their needs are higher in periods of rapid growth. Magnesium works with calcium to keep bones healthy and potassium helps sodium to maintain a good level of cellular hydration, regulating electrolytes on both sides of its membrane.
Pumpkin pancakes for breakfast or snack. Pancakes are, in general, the dessert or the favorite snack of children. On this occasion, we have prepared some pumpkin pancakes, a very easy and highly healthy recipe for the little ones in the house. our site offers you the recipe for pumpkin pancakes.
Pumpkin and ham risotto. Pumpkin risotto recipe. Pumpkins, in addition to being one of the symbols of Halloween, can also be used to make very complete and healthy children's recipes, like this pumpkin and ham risotto.
Gluten-free pumpkin gnocchi recipe. Gnocchi are a delicacy that comes from Italian gastronomy. They are usually made with potatoes and can be accompanied by cheese, tomato or vegetables. However, on our site we present you a variety of typical gnocchi made with pumpkin.
Soft pumpkin cream with cheese. Scrumptious homemade squash cream cheese cream recipe. A very grateful dish with many vitamins for the children's lunch or dinner. Recipe for soft cream of pumpkin with cheese. How to make soft pumpkin cream for children.
Pumpkin cake. American recipe. Pumpkin pie or pumpkin pie is a traditional American recipe that is often served at Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner, especially among American families. Pumpkin is a fruit rich in fiber and water, and it is also low in fat.
Gluten-free pumpkin and orange cookies. Cookies are one of the favorite cookies of children. On our site we teach you how to cook delicious cookis with chocolate and orange shavings but with a special feature: children with gluten intolerance can enjoy this sweet.
Pumpkin and cinnamon flan. Pumpkin and cinnamon flan recipe for the children's Halloween party. our site offers us a healthier and more original version of the traditional dessert. Pumpkin flan with a touch of cinnamon to celebrate Halloween.
Pumpkin raisin muffins. Pumpkin cupcakes for Halloween. Pumpkin Raisin Muffins or Muffins. our site offers you a recipe for the children's snack or Halloween party. Easy and quick recipe for children.
Pumpkin muffins without sugar or dairy. You can enjoy this rich children's recipe for pumpkin muffins, healthy and rich in snack and breakfast, without worrying about food allergies since they are gluten-free and dairy-free muffins.
You can read more articles similar to Benefits of pumpkin for children, in the Infant Nutrition On-Site category.